Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ethel

Every now and then you meet a person so extraordinary that you just feel that the world is better because of this person.  A few weeks ago I had the most wonderful experience with a sweet old lady named Ethel.  I needed to go to Walmart to get some shopping done.  Scott was at work, so I took both the boys with me.  My list was fairly short, so I figured I could be in and out in no time.  I don't know what I was thinking since I had the two boys.  Tyler was crying, wait, no screaming and Trevor was grabbing every thing he could to put it into the cart.  The he would proceed to freak out when I told him no and to put it back.  As I moved along the aisles, I can't the empathy look or the why don't you leave look from almost every one.  As I was walking out of one aisle, this 60 something lady grabbed my cart to stop me.  "Great" I thought "Now someone is going to tell me how to raise my children."  I was already on the verge of tears with trying to control my two children.  The lady looked me in the eye and said "I'm done shopping and have everything I need.  You hold your baby and I'll push the cart and help you as long as you need."  I was immediately overcome with this great feeling of love for this woman I just barely met.  I did everything I could to not cry.  I only had a few things left on my list.  But sweet Ethel continued to follow me and talked to Trevor and me while I held Tyler.  Once I was done, she told me, "I really don't have any where to be, so if there is anything you want to look at, just go ahead."  I didn't so we went to check out.  At this point I sneaked her 3 items onto the belt so I could repay her kindness.  Unfortunately, one of the items she had she was returning, so that plan kind of blew up in my face.  She even offered to follow me to my car to help me out there. 

I was so amazed with this woman's kindness.  It makes me happy to know that kindness still exists in a world that is full of pushing people away.  One of my favorite movies is "Crash."  The basic storyline is simple.  Several people being forced to deal with one another.  The very first line describes it the best: "It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."

I don't believe that this feeling is just in LA.  But is almost every city you find it.  People are no longer helping those that we see that are in need of help for whatever reason.  Ethel taught me an important lesson.  We don't have to be like that.

No comments: