Saturday, November 20, 2010

Football

My cousins and my students played in a tournament in Mesquite, Nevada, this weekend.  Luckily, they didn't play each other.  That would have been an awkward situation.  It started on Friday when both Chris and Dillon played their hardest and won each of their games.  Chris played on a 6th grade team while Dillon played on a 3rd grade team.  Saturday was good as well.  Dillon's team played hard and well, but the larger 4th grade team beat them out, having Dillon's team coming in 2nd for their age group.  I was very impressed when the other team's coach stood up at the awards and commented on what a great team they played against and that they did a wonderful job.  I was happy to see a coach showing his players what it truly means to be a good sport. I then went to watch the last bit of my students play.  I didn't see a lot, but I could tell right away that the other team was a vicious team.  But what shocked me the most is when I heard several of the players tell my students to "suck it Pine View!"  I couldn't believe what I heard and neither could all of the moms that heard the same thing.  It was sad to see that they play rough AND they don't know how to be good winners.  I can't wait to return on after Thanksgiving to tell me kids what a great job they did and how proud I am of who how they played. 

I took the boys down.  Trevor loved to watch Chris and Dillon play and even got into the cheering.  He became mesmerized by the sport.  Now, if you know anything about Scott and me, we are NOT in anyway sports fans.  In fact, when I married Scott I felt lucky to have found someone that cared as little about sports as I did.  We watch the Superbowl, more for the experience than for the enjoyment of the sport, and Scott watched the occasional NASCAR race.  Yep, not big sports fans.  Neither one of us played sports in high school, nor did we want to.  As I watched my 3 year old trying on a helmet and holding a football and telling me that he wants to play football, the future came to me.  Scott and I always decided that whatever our kids wanted to do, we would support them in that choice.  We may not be sports fans, but I would do anything for my boys.  I saw myself 10 years down the road.  I was the mom out there holding a sign for the boys to run through.  I was there wearing a sweatshirt with my kids' team name on it.  I was there with a cowbell painted in the color of the team and screaming for the team to get a touchdown or to intercept the ball or just tackle the opposing team member.  The time is coming fast.  I may not have wanted to do it when I was there.  But dear Trevor and Tyler, if you want to do it, please know that Mom and Dad will be there to support you 100%.

p.s. all pictures are on Heather's camera.  When I get those pictures, they will be posted :)

No comments: